From: Peter Wood <p2wood@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc not downward compatible?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:52:58
1 Hi list,
2 A few days ago I upgraded gcc from 4.1.2 to 4.3.1-r1 (upgrading
3 Eclipse-sdk to the latest ~x86 version made installing gcc 4.3.1-r1
4 necessary, so I thought I would stick with it on my test box).
5 Now I am re-emerging world and have noticed that a number of packages
6 which compiled fine with the old gcc don't compile with the new version
7 anymore and have to be unmasked in /etc/portage/package.keywords. QT4 is
8 one of them, just to give an example.
9 I don't really mind using the ~x86 version of these packages, but wonder
10 why the old, stable packages won't compile with a newer gcc. Isn't gcc
11 supposed to be downward compatible?