From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recovery from /var corruption?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:39:06
1 On 26 February 2010 12:33, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > So I got my wife's machine booted today using a install disk and
3 > played a bit with e2fsck. The machine stopped being happy last night
4 > due to some sort of corruption on the /var partition. e2fsck
5 > complained about 3 or 4 files and then repaired the partition. The
6 > machine booted cleanly as far as I can tell.
7 >
8 > So, something went bad and I managed to sneak around it for a while
9 > and now I'm sort of living with the machine wondering what to do.
10 >
11 > Do I just watch the logs looking for problems? I have no way of
12 > knowing right now whether this was a disk problem that's going to come
13 > back, a 1 time deal due to power, or something else entirely.
14 >
15 > As these cheap machines that don't use RAID what's the right way to
16 > go? emerge -e @world and then wait for the next event? Do nothing and
17 > wait?
18 >
19 > We've got decent personal data backups as well as basic /etc data.
20 >
21 > Thanks,
22 > Mark
25 I reconsidered your problem, and I actually wonder if emerging world
26 is a valid notion in this case, as the world file is under /var and
27 this is reported as corrupt.
28
29 In this sense, it may be entirely non-trivial to regenerate (without
30 backup) the correct world-file for a system.
31
32 Am I out in the deep end, or is this, in fact, the critical point that
33 needs consideration here?
34
35 ~daid