From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lembark@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Q: Where does elogind get "--keeptty" set?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 09:39:48
1 On Monday, 26 October 2020 21:23:54 GMT Steven Lembark wrote:
2 > After conversion to elogind I cannot start X11.
3 >
4 > I've re-emerged PAM, though the ._cfg_system-auth tried to remove
5 > elogind.so, oddly enough.
6
7 On my systems there is no elogind.so in /etc/pam.d/system-auth.
10 > At this point my Xorg.0.log includes:
11 >
12 > systemd-elogind: Logind integration requires -keeptty and
13 > -keeptty was not provided, disabling elogind integration.
14
15 I have the same message, but sddm starts Xorg fine.
18 > Looking for -keeptty I find:
19 >
20 > <https://bugs.gentoo.org/599470>
21 >
22 > I found 74 packages installed on my system with at least one systemd
23 > reference in them. Most only install service files. Some make use of
24 > systemd-journal. Only 10 make use of libsystemd-login, and I have now
25 > submitted all of them but x11-base/xorg-server. The latter has to be
26 > started with "-keeptty" to add systemd-login/elogind integration, and that
27 > argument is strictly for debugging.
28 >
29 > Q: Any suggestions as to where or how I might avoid this or
30 > supply -keeptty?
31 >
32 > thanks
33
34 The option '-keeptty' is only needed if you're starting X from a console and
35 don't want to detach it for debugging purposes. From '/usr/bin/Xorg --help':
36
37 -keeptty don't detach controlling tty (for debugging only)
38
39 I guess you could pass this option on via .xinitrc or perhaps .xserverrc which
40 is parsed by .xinitrc.