From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] possible gentoo-sources stuff-up
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:25:54
1 On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Matthew R. Lee <gentoo@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I just ran emerge --depclean and missed that it was going to remove
3 > gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r2, the sources for the kernel I'm currently using.
4 > Now what I'm not sure about is, do I need the sources, or is the kernel image
5 > in /boot sufficient. Do I need to build myself a new working kernel before I
6 > reboot again? I can't reemerge 2.6.22-r2 becuase it's no longer available.
7 > Thanks
8 > Matt
9 > --
10 > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
11 > Dr. Matthew R. Lee
12
13 As Alan said, I came across this earlier today. In my case
14 gentoo-sources was the only think in the --depclean list so I didn't
15 let emerge remove it but had I been presented with a longer list I
16 could have easily missed it.
17
18 To fix it, or be safe for the future when you are tired and not paying
19 much attention, you can add lines by hand in /var/lib/portage/world
20
21 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r7
22 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:2.6.24-r8
23
24 Note the use of the colon instead of the dash. Don't ask me why but
25 that's what works.
26
27 With that I now have two kernels protected from this problem and can
28 still, I believe, do an emerge -C on a specific kernel that I might
29 want to get rid of in the future.
30
31 Hope this helps,
32 Mark