From: Rafa Griman <rafagriman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild (gawk) issues
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:39:30
1 On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:56:07 +0200
3 > Rafa Griman <rafagriman@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi Vaeth :)
6 >>
7 >> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Vaeth
8 >> <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
9 >> > On Tue, 29 May 2012, Rafa Griman wrote:
10 >> >>
11 >> >> gawk: cmd. line:3: error: Unmatched [ or [^: /[^[:space:]]/
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > Your gawk is broken. This happens if you emerged gawk with
15 >> > current gcc and aggressive FLAGS like -DNDEBUG or -flto.
16 >> > Not sure whether it is a bug of gawk or gcc.
19 >> So it seems to be the CFLAGS :( As I said in my previous e-mail, I was
20 >> "experimenting" a bit with them ... I'll be more conservative ;)
21 >
22 > Well, on the one hand the flags don;t seem to be too bad overall, but
23 > on the other hand there's the golden rule of Gentoo:
24 >
25 > Don't stuff around with CFLAGS
26 >
27 > Why not? Well, there's the ricer phenomenon where changed CFLAGS
28 > worsen performance and stability but the user's own bias convinces
29 > him/her that it's actually vastly improved.
32 I know that rule and tried not to be too agressive but seems I was O:)
33 Since it's not my min machine, I was going to experiment (nothing
34 "scientific", just curiosity) trying different options on different
35 partitions and see how they work out.
38 > Some tweaks are perfectly OK, like the multimedia and cpu-specific
39 > stuff (sse, mmx and all their related cousins). These are normally safe
40 > and can give huge gains with video playback. Likewise for the GPU tweaks
41 > once those hit mainline usage.
44 That was mainly the reason: video playback and some other apps
45 (scientific). But nothing serious.
48 > One last tweak, if the code is built on the machine that will run it
49 > (the usual case, replace -march and -mtune with just "-march=native".
50 > It has exactly the same effect but is easier to read, is
51 > self-documenting and allows the compiler to attempt it's best (the
52 > compiler usually does know much better what to do than you do)
53
54 I totally agree with you: the compiler knos better ;)
55
56 TIA
57
58 Rafa