From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2, uefi, gpt etc etc
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 21:20:46
1 Am 04.01.2012 09:24, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Installing on a nice shiny new Dell laptop which has these new-fangled
5 > UEFI and 4K-sector disks. Never having worked on these things before,
6 > I'm somewhat wary especially as we've had huge threads before on what
7 > to do and not do.
8 >
9 > I don't want to rehash all of that all over again (and the info is
10 > somewhat scattered) so I have one simple question:
11 >
12 > Is this wiki page accurate and worth following:
13 >
14 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
15
16 You tell *me* ... ;-)
17
18 As some of you might have noticed I migrated to GRUB2 lately.
19
20 My current question:
21
22 Does it make sense to convert/move to GPT-style-partitioning on a
23 current ~amd64 machine? (root-fs on software raid, btw)
24
25 I browse through stuff like:
26
27 http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
28
29 and wonder ... (maybe some hours of sleep also help).
30
31 Filtering my gentoo-user-IMAP-folder only threw up this thread.
35 Additional "problem": this box dual-boots Win7pro.
36
37 Have some of you gentoo-users already been there, done that?
38
39 Stefan