From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 12:32:22
1 On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello list,
5
6 Hi.
7
8 > Over the last few weeks I've been having odd things go bump in the night.
9 This
10 > is a KDE amd64 system with /usr under / and no initrd.
11
12 I have no idea what your problem can be. But as a friendly reminder, your
13 setup ("/usr under / and no initrd") hasn't been supported since at least a
14 year and a half. From [1]:
15
16 """
17 If you have / and /usr on separate file systems and you are not
18 currently using an initramfs, you must set one up before this date.
19 Otherwise, at some point on or after this date, upgrading packages
20 will make your system unbootable.
21 """
22
23 It is of course possible that your problem has nothing to do with not using
24 an initramfs. Then again, *IT IS* also possible that you NEED an initramfs,
25 and that's one of the many reasons the council decided to stop supporting
26 such a configuration.
27
28 Regards.
29
30 [1]
31 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-09-27-initramfs-required.html
32 --
33 Canek Peláez Valdés
34 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias