From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel panick after time while compiling....
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:35:28
1 On 28 May 2013, at 06:38, Mick wrote:
2 > ...
3 > If it is not a memory issue, then it may well be a power supply issue. My old
4 > PC started playing up lately (e.g. a couple of kernel panics when shutting
5 > down, or freezing at random) and I discovered some domed capacitors in the
6 > PSU. I will similarly be buying a new machine soon, although I may bother
7 > myself with replacing the capacitors at some point.
8
9 When fixing PCs as a fulltime occupation, I found the PSU to be the most common cause of random and "inexplicable" crashes - slightly more often, I would say, than bad or overheating RAM, but with symptoms generally indistinguishable.
10
11 Many computer enthusiasts will look down on £20 or £30 PSUs, but I don't think that spending 2 or 3 times as much would have had any benefit for the users I serviced.
12
13 Stroller.