From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone successful in paravirtualizing Gentoo on XenServer?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:21:32
1 On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:47, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Thu, March 24, 2011 7:37 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 00:03, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > <snipped previous attempts>
9 >> More update on my odyssey.
10 >>
11 >> I went back to HVM and reboot using the Install CD. I did a 'chroot'
12 >> followed by 'rc-update add sshd default' and 'emerge iproute2' (forgot
13 >> those two the first time). 'poweroff', went back to PV mode, and ...
14 >>
15 >> Yay! Now I can SSH into the VM. And indeed, memory usage is minimal
16 >> (approx 28 MB).
17 >
18 > As I read the first email, I was planning on asking if you can connect via
19 > remote.
22 At first, I can't. But then I realized I forgot to do the 'rc-update
23 add sshd default' step.
24
25 >> But I still can't login via Xen's virtual console (hvc0). Same as
26 >> before: Got the 'login:' prompt, but can't type anything.
27 >>
28 >> I'll try mucking around with the .config. I have a feeling I disabled
29 >> one thing too many...
30 >
31 > Before playing around with the kernel config further, I don't use
32 > XenServer, but use the xen-stuff in portage instead. (My host runs Gentoo
33 > as well)
34 > In the configuration, I add the following to the kernel-parameters:
35 > " xencons=tty "
36 > Maybe a similar option will help you as well.
39 Hmmm... currently I set xencons=hvc0 (also in /etc/inittab, s/tty0/hvc0/)
40
41 I'll see what happens if I return them to tty0.
42
43 > Otherwise, you could try checking the input-devices. Especially things
44 > like keyboard/usb/hid/ps/...
47 Let's see... I got the following checked:
48 -*- Generic input layer (needed for keyboard, mouse, ...)
49 < > Support for memoryless force-feedback devices
50 < > Polled input device skeleton
51 < > Sparse keymap support library
52 *** Userland interfaces ***
53 -*- Mouse interface
54 [*] Provide legacy /dev/psaux device
55 (1024) Horizontal screen resolution
56 (768) Vertical screen resolution
57 < > Joystick interface
58 <M> Event interface
59 < > Event debugging
60 <*> Xen virtual keyboard and mouse support
61 *** Input Device Drivers ***
62 -*- Keyboards --->
63 [ ] Mice --->
64 [ ] Joysticks/Gamepads --->
65 [ ] Tablets --->
66 [ ] Touchscreens --->
67 [ ] Miscellaneous devices --->
68 Hardware I/O ports --->
69
70 Under keyboards, I only have:
71 <M> XT keyboard
72
73 > Also, if you have further difficulty, the xen-users list might be a better
74 > port of call as there are plenty of people there who use XenServer.
78 Thanks for the pointer!
79
80 > --
81 > Joost Roeleveld
82 >
83 > PS. Not trying to send you away from this list :)
86 Heh, no misunderstanding here :)
87
88 Anyways, when I'm successful in my endeavor, I'll sure to be sharing my tips.
89
90 Rgds
91 --
92 Pandu E Poluan