From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS for Windows - does any Wiki solution 'just work'?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 18:27:17
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Oct 5, 2011 12:10 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >> <SNIP>
7 >> > If you want to rebuild it totally, why not go the simpler route of
8 >> > installing 'soft appliances' like FreeNAS, OpenFiler, or Nexenta?
9 >> >
10 >> > Rgds,
11 >> >
12 >>
13 >> Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about any of these.
14 >>
15 >> Some comments:
16 >>
17 >> 1) The machine is already running Gentoo and is reasonably up to date.
18 >> (Within 30 days or so) I didn't want to start from scratch but rather
19 >> just wanted to remove a couple of drives which don't support system
20 >> needs, throw a couple of 1TB hard drives and hopefully I'm up and
21 >> running.
22 >>
23 >> 2) As for the three suggestions, and at a glance they all look very
24 >> capable of supporting my limited needs, I really don't want to learn
25 >> to maintain a server running different tools. (I.e. - anything not
26 >> portage)
27 >>
28 >> I sure like the look of the FreeNAS pages though.
31 > TBH, I have no experience with either FreeNAS or Nexenta, but people I know
32 > in other fora swear by them.
33 >
34 > As to OpenFiler, I've deployed it several times in my office, twice for
35 > production. It's quite easy to manage, especially since it's update-able
36 > from the webGUI.
37 >
38 > There *is* a learning curve, though. Exposing OpenFiler to act as a NAS box
39 > that's accessible from Windows has a few gotchas, but after reading some
40 > wikis, I got it up and running beautifully.
41 >
42 > Rgds,
45 I wonder if VMWare monitors this list? I just a couple a minutes ago
46 received an email offering me VMware vSphere Storage Appliance at the
47 low, low cost of $10,180. And that's 40% off list price! :-)
48
49 - Mark