From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to get a backtrace from a core dump?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 00:47:23
1 On 01/28/2010 01:22 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> [10-01-27 17:09]:
3 >> I need to get a backtrace from a core dump file. I followed the
4 >> instructions here:
5 >>
6 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
7 >>
8 >> I added -g to CFLAGS and splitdebug to FEATURES and built the
9 >> application with those new setting (that would be media-sound/lmms in
10 >> this case.) I then did "ulimit -c unlimited" and started the
11 >> application from that shell. I reproduced the crash and a core file
12 >> was successfully produced. But, when trying to get a backtrace, I get:
13 >>
14 >> --------
15 >> gdb --core core --batch --quiet -ex "thread apply all bt full" -ex
16 >> "quit"
17 >> [New Thread 3575]
18 >> [New Thread 3573]
19 >> [New Thread 3577]
20 >> Core was generated by `./lmms'.
21 >> Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
22 >> #0 0x0000003007b79985 in ?? ()
23 >>
24 >> Thread 4 (Thread 3577):
25 >> #0 0x0000003000c0e07d in ?? ()
26 >> No symbol table info available.
27 >>
28 >> Thread 3 (Thread 3573):
29 >> #0 0x0000003000c0b1fc in ?? ()
30 >> No symbol table info available.
31 >>
32 >> Thread 2 (Thread 3575):
33 >> #0 0x000000306d44feac in ?? ()
34 >> No symbol table info available.
35 >>
36 >> Thread 1 (Thread 3571):
37 >> #0 0x0000003007b79985 in ?? ()
38 >> No symbol table info available.
39 >> --------
40 >>
41 >> Then I re-emerged the application, canceled the emerge and did a manual
42 >> "make" in /var/tmp/portage so I get the unstripped lmms executable.
43 >> However, same thing as above happens. What am I missing?
46 > Hi,
47 >
48 > you need to build all librarys, which are linked to that application
49 > as with debug option, too.
50
51 I'm only interested at where in the application the crash happens so I
52 don't need details about the libs in the backtrace.