From: Henk Boom <lunarc.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternatives to audacious?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:43:24
1 On 04/06/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > What are some alternatives to Audacious mp3/CD player? I really liked
3 > the old XMMS and used it right up until it was taken off portage.
4 > Audacious seems to resemble XMMS closely enough, but it seems more
5 > fragile. I have it working well on one gentoo box, but on this box, I
6 > am just having no luck getting it to run without errors (won't read
7 > audio CD, master volume control is not functional, playlist errors on
8 > start-up... ) I'm looking for something with a GUI rather than a
9 > command-line player.
10
11 I had a similar issue, though the reason I had for not liking
12 audacious had more to do with it's atrocious memory usage. I
13 eventually settled on MPD (music player daemon) coupled with Sonata.
14 MPD requires a small amount of setup, but it's really nice and light.
15 Sonata is a simple GTK client which seems pretty quick and light, but
16 AFAIK doesn't do a couple of things which I don't really need (like EQ
17 controls).
18
19 Plus you can control MPD from a command line or script in a pinch
20 using netcat, without even having the UI open. =)
21
22 Henk Boom
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list