From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] viewer for "ps" postscript files
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:51:36
1 On 2021/12/23 at 01:57pm, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > I have latest ghostscript installed: ghostscript-gpl-9.55.0-r1
3 >
4 > When I try to view a postsript file from command line: gs W-9_Form.ps
5 > It works OK, but when I try to open same file in Xfce desktop it opens
6 > and closes instantly.
7
8 My guess would be that in XFCE, gs is successfully doing whatever
9 (showing, interpreting, ??) in a terminal window and then immediately
10 closing when done.
11
12 Have you tried a GUI such as Okular or Evince? They both support viewing
13 .ps files.
14
15 In Thunar, just right click on the file and choose "Open with >" and
16 either Okular or Evince if they are listed, or "Open with Other
17 Application ..." if they aren't. (But if they aren't listed, you might
18 have to install them, or a similar GUI viewer.)
19
20 > I use hylafax + YajHFC and when I try to open some files I get an error:
21
22 I honestly have no idea about hylafax and YajHFC. Unless there is more
23 here than just trying to view a .ps file (or you are working in a very
24 restricted environment), they are probably not the best tool.
27 Chris Spackman (he / him) chris@××××××××××.com
28
29 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
30 ESL Educator Columbus State Community College
31 Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998
32 Linux user since 1998 Linux User #137532