From: Jack Byer <ftn768@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dmraid, mdraid, lvm, btrfs, what?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:38:25
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2
3 > Another thing you can think of is whether you want encryption. I've done
4 > this for my laptop. The usual setup would by md->lvm->crypt. I've done
5 > it crypt->lvm (an LVM physical volume on top of an encrypted partition).
6 > This way, I only need to enter the password once. You can enforce a
7 > specific order between lvm, md and dmcrypt by putting stuff like this in
8 > /etc/rc.conf:
9 > rc_dmcrypt_before="lvm"
10 > rc_dmcrypt_after="udev"
11
12 I like to use whole disk encryption so I'll format each drive with LUKS and
13 then use Dracut for an initramfs when I boot so that it takes care of
14 setting up dmcrypt/lvm/md before OpenRC ever starts up.