From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 04:17:27
1 On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:11 PM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 > On my 16 core opteron I have to do -j32 or sometimes -j64 to be using
3 > everything all the time, is this normal? If I don't do this it won't be
4 > pegged at 100% all the time.
7 I use a ramdisk and anything over -j${NCPU} (incl. hyperthreaded
8 cores) causes performance degradation in general due mainly to the
9 compiling step. For some package sets I have noticed that higher build
10 parallelism helps due to some ebuild steps not being easily
11 parallelizable.
12
13 > I assume using a ramdisk would help with this? I wouldn't want to do a SSD
14 > as I assume it would excessively wear by doing compiles.
17 It should. While builds on an SSD will wear the SSD, comparing the
18 write volume to the expected drive lifetime will tell you the true
19 impact. It is (if I remember) still relatively small.
20
21 Cheers,
22 R0b0t1