From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] slightly OT: providing rsync-server for customers
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:09:05
1 Greets, fellow gentoo-users,
2
3 I am thinking of providing a rsync/rsnapshot-based storage for my customers.
4
5 Just as third or fourth level of security, they all (have to) use raid,
6 snapshots, tape backups on their own site (all of which I set up and run).
7
8 I just want to add some automated sync to a remote place, just in case.
9
10 The technical aspect is rather clear to me, rsync over ssh, sure ..
11 maybe some iptables etc
12
13 I will maybe set up their own private zfs-filesystem (zfs-fuse to be
14 correct) with a quota, I like the thought of built-in-checksums (yes,
15 zfs raid ...)
16
17 I'd like to get some feedback on how to charge for such a service.
18
19 Parameters could be overall space used, data transferred (per
20 day/month), number of historical snapshots kept, etc.
21
22 Maybe one of you is doing something like that already?
23 Or using such a service ...
24
25 What could be an adaequate price for this?
26
27 I'd like to get that right, it shouldn't be too expensive to "sell it",
28 but also reflect the fact that it could save butts ....
29
30 Thanks for any opinions, Stefan