From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:08:50
1 Hi,
2 I'm in the process of setting up a new private computer. I've bought one
3 with two drives b/c I wanted to setup a RAID system - RAID1 for
4 important partitions, RAID0 for scratch files maybe.
5 Additionally I would like to use LVM2 --- on my work PC I've grown to
6 like the flexibility of that.
7 The Intel DQ35JO motherboard now supports some kind of mobo based RAID.
8 Is it better to use this HW raid, or to ignore that and use only the
9 linux kernel's software RAID.
10 Additionally the LVM2 utilities seem to have limited mirroring/striping
11 capabilities of their own - I only want to use RAID levels 0 and 1
12 anyways -- would LVM's methods be better here?
13
14 Inquiring mind wants to know!
15 - Wolfgang Liebich