From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Office web filtering
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:36:41
1 Hi there,
2
3 Anyone got any suggestions regarding web filtering for a small office
4 of a dozen employees?
5
6 I'd assume Squid + Google-it-you-lazy-git, but there are a couple of
7 requirements that make my request a little unusual.
8
9 Firstly, instead of simply blocking pr0n & allowing everything else,
10 the site primarily wants to block Hotmail & Facebook.
11
12 I assume that what this _really means_ is that they want to block
13 everything by default and add a whitelist of work-related sites (it's
14 an estate agent, so http://rightmove.co.uk would be on the whitelist,
15 for instance).
16
17 Secondly, they want to perform the blocking for most of the day, but
18 relax the restrictions between 11am - 11:15am & 1pm - 2pm.
19
20 And thirdly, the bosses want to be excluded from the filtering. One
21 obvious way to do this is filtering by their MAC or IP address - none
22 of the staff are geek enough to get around this but nevertheless it's
23 a bit clumsy & requires maintenance if the boss gets a new laptop.
24
25 So what I'd prefer is really some kind of system that pops up a
26 message "this site cannot be displayed because it is in the filter
27 category [pr0n|frivolous]; if you would like to see it anyway, please
28 enter your username & password". I used to work at a place that
29 displayed a similar message & allowed with a single click a user to
30 submit to the admin websites that had been blacklisted in error; so I
31 am sure something like this is possible, I just don't know if it's
32 available in open-source.
33
34 Thanks in advance,
35