From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local portage ebuilds
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:22:17
1 On 07/09/2014 09:38 AM, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I use the stable portage tree for most everything.
5 > I use and test quite a few overlays.
6 > Both of these are great.
7 >
8 > But now, I'm hacking a small collection my own ebuilds that focus
9 > on some specific needs and science, which I shall refer to collectively as
10 > local ebuilds. I'm curious how other folks would suggest to keep them
11 > separate from the main portage tree and the overlays, but easily
12 > maintainable on my own workstation.
15 Create your own overlay. There isn't much to it, you just create a
16 directory somewhere and start filling it with ebuilds. To tell portage
17 about it, add the directory to PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
18
19 Every overlay should have two files, profiles/repo_name which contains
20 only the name of the repo, and metadata/layout.conf which contains
21 something like,
22
23 repo-name = your-overlay
24 masters = gentoo
25 eapis-deprecated = 0 1 2 3 4
26
27 (The profiles/repo_name file is being phased out IIRC, but stable
28 portage will still complain if it's missing.)
29
30 When you add ebuilds, place them under category/package-name just like
31 they would appear in $PORTDIR.
32
33 For bonus points, you can publish your overlay on e.g. github to get a
34 better feel for what it's like committing to the tree. When you modify
35 an ebuild, you should be running `repoman manifest` to generate the new
36 manifest -- otherwise you won't be able to emerge it. After that, you
37 should run `repoman full` to check for problems (e.g. typos, bad
38 dependencies). Finally, if you're using a VCS, `repoman commit` to
39 commit your changes. Those are essentially the steps used to commit to
40 the main tree.
41
42 You can even tell portage to sign Manifests using your GPG key:
43
44 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/manifest/
45
46 The VCS/signing are optional, but give you a better feel for how things
47 are really done. The knowledge you'll gain from running your own overlay
48 is useful when you're contributing to other people's overlays, or even
49 when filing bugs.