From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Have you seen my flamesuit? (Was: How many people use KDE?)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 05:13:20
1 On Friday 20 January 2006 18:10, Linux Java wrote:
2 > I wanna to know KDE and Gnome which is more popular.
3
4 That's the most blatant start of a flamewar I've seen...
5
6 Ok, let's sit here and ponder. People like KDE, people like GNOME, hell,
7 people like fluxbox and xfce. Now to put this in perspective, basically
8 there is no "right answer" to this question, and no matter how much someone
9 suggests, there never will be. I'm also curious as to how you plan to
10 consider people's opinions on 'popular' valid.
11
12 The question of which is better (the question you SHOULD be asking) comes down
13 to this:
14
15 1) Why do I need a WM/DE?
16 2) What do I do regularly that would make
17 my life easier?
18 3) How much customization am I looking for?
19 4) How well do applications I commonly use
20 integrate with it?
21 5) What do I think of the community behind it?
22
23 Now, these questions are only answerable by you, because.. they are
24 SUBJECTIVE. That's why flamewars come about, people try and answer
25 subjective questions, then it goes nowhere.
26
27 So before this goes any further, guys, think independently about what you need
28 from your DE/WM and make the world a better place.
29
30 Chris White