From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 23:00:32
1 On 5/27/21 4:47 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Showing my age... I started using linux on a spare machine with 16
3 > ***MEGA***bytes of ram approx year 1999 or 2000, and the ram was
4 > perfectly sufficient.
5
6 Yep. I did similar.
7
8 Though I think /what/ is done *and* /how/ it is done are significantly
9 different now than they were ~20 years ago.
10
11 Thunderbird and Firefox are my big RAM consumers that are open all the
12 time. Virtual Machines use more (and are one of the reasons I'm
13 building a new system) memory, but they aren't open all the time.
14
15 Ignoring the SSL / TLS connection issues, I don't know if a distro from
16 ~20 years ago could do what I want to do today. I know that my email
17 workload is multiple orders of magnitude larger today than back then.
18 /If/ Netscape Communicator /can/ handle my email (via an SSL / TLS proxy
19 like stunnel), then we have some big problems. -- /me grumbles as he's
20 now probably going to end up trying things.
21
22 Aside: I wonder if I can get around the SSL/TLS issue by leveraging
23 IPsec to protect credentials between the external IPs and configure
24 Netscape Communicator for stock IMAP & SMTP.
29 Grant. . . .
30 unix || die