From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uploading ebuilds
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:30:17
1 Christoph Gysin schreef:
2 > Rafael Fernández López wrote:
3 >
4 >> If I fill in a bug for uploading ebuilds (is the right way) I've
5 >> created a patch file, so what I've to do !!! THE EBUILD IS DONE !!!
6 >> WHY CANNOT GENTOO USERS BENEFIT FROM IT ??
9 > Yes, the right way is to file a bug on bugzilla. But be patient. A
10 > developer needs to be willing to maintain your ebuild, or it won't
11 > ever get accepted to portage.
12
13 But if you file a bug and upload the ebuild/patch to the bug, Gentoo
14 users *can* benefit from it; there's nothing stopping users from
15 downloading the ebuild to their PORTDIR_OVERLAY and using it that way
16 (b.g.o. is where most of the ebuilds in my overlay come from, in fact).
17 Actually, afaik, that's the way the system is meant to work-- you upload
18 a prospective ebuild to b.g.o., and I and other users download it from
19 there to provide alpha testing services, and report back (comment on the
20 bug).
21
22 Doing so serves several purposes:
23
24 1) makes the ebuild available for those who need it;
25
26 2) potentially provides testing from a wide variety of environments
27
28 3) potentially stimulates gentoo-developer interest for an unknown
29 program (if a lot of activity occurs on the bug because a lot of people
30 are downloading/emerging/testing the ebuild, or even if only a few
31 people test, but are providing very detailed and useful reports,
32 somebody is more likely to see that there is interest in this
33 application and commit to maintaining it)
34
35 4) potentially provides you help and support in ebuild writing (since if
36 people have the opportunity to use/examine the ebuild, they can tell you
37 what's wrong with it, if something is overtly wrong).
38
39 So stop yelling :-) and file that bug.
40
41 Holly
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list