From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic questions about Distcc
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 02:51:58
1 On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Lasse Pouru
2 <lasse.pouru@××××××××××××.fi> wrote:
3 > I have a bunch of old laptops that large builds such as texlive and ghc fail on, I'm assuming because of insufficient memory and disk space. If I've understood correctly, with Distcc I could build everything on my main desktop PC and have the binaries transferred through network? How does this work, exactly, and is it a lot of work to set up? I currently have no networking devices besides a single modem/router, would something more be required?
6 If you have a capable desktop PC you could cross compile for your
7 other computers. Your main desktop would do all the build work and
8 serve as a binhost. Distcc works brilliantly when it does work, but
9 there are occasional failures. Of course, only failures get seen on
10 this list.
11
12 Cheers,
13 R0b0t1