From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 13:28:16
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 14:54 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Dale did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > The pattern I see is that of selecting only changes that failed and
6 > > implying they are the norm.
7 > >
8 > > Why not add other improvements that were so bad, like the switch from
9 > > floppy disks to hard disks, or CDs to DVDs? Companies try to predict
10 > > where the market should go so they can lead. No one gets it right all
11 > > the time, the ones that survive are those that get it right often enough.
12 > > The ones that are most likely to fail are those that never try to
13 > > innovate in case someone doesn't like it.
14 > >
15 > > The important point is that KDE wanted something better, it's unfortunate
16 > > that it took so much longer than planned, but it would have taken even
17 > > longer if they had not tried.
18 >
19 > I just hope they also learned from their mistakes. Dropping KDE3
20 > support long before KDE4 was ready was a big one. That shouldn't be
21 > repeated.
22
23 They can do any damn thing they want to with their code. They also you owe
24 support for it in exactly the same amount you paid for it. Which is to say
25 "nothing".
26
27 It's not a question of "should", it's only a question of "Dale would prefer it
28 if"
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com