From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Extremely slow sata with IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:44:45
1 Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 30 Dec 2008, at 13:43, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> It seems you have set up the SATA controller to do (sub-optimal)
6 >> IDE/PATA emulation rather than native AHCI. Try enabling "AHCI" in the
7 >> BIOS (search for it in the SATA/IDE settings) and enable "<*> AHCI
8 >> SATA support" in the kernel.
9 >>
10 >> Note that if you do that and you have Windows installed on the same
11 >> machine, you'll need to reinstall Windows since it won't boot anymore
12 >> if you change to AHCI.
13 >
14 > Actually, Windows WILL still boot, as long as the correct drivers are
15 > installed.
16 >
17 > Procedure here is:
18 > 1) Set SATA to "old fangled" mode
19 > 2) Install Windows
20 > 3) Download drivers from manufacturers' website, SP1 or SP2 & SP3,
21 > Windows Update &c.
22 > 4) Reboot laptop, set SATA to "native" mode.
23
24 Nope, that won't work. I know because I tried :)