From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 status - Alternative to ext2/3 for gentoo portage and more
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:13:52
1 On Friday 15 February 2008, Strong Cypher wrote:
2 > Ok guy thanks for answer ...
3 > For my use, mix of ext2/ext3 in partition (lvm) and sparse file could
4 > speed up my system ...
5 > I think it could not at the same point of reiser4 but support in
6 > case of crash could really be better ...
7
8 Assuming you have chosen sane mkfs settings, the largest single file
9 system improvement you could possibly ever make, is to split your
10 filesystem up into various volumes according to their intended role.
11 Like, /home and /var and /usr are separate filesystems.
12
13 Ever other tweak you will ever make is miniscule in comparison to this
14 one.
15
16 Mind you, this is EXACTLY how Unix was designed to be used. Funny,
17 that...
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list