From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My harddisk doesn't want to spin down permanently
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:17:20
1 Jakob Buchgraber wrote:
2
3 > The drive is mounted (contains the / partition). If no program access
4 > the harddisk, this actually shouldn't matter as otherwise the whole
5 > concept of laptop-mode etc. is nuts (or I completely misunderstood it
6 > :-) ).
9 Some more guesses that are not solutions :-) :
10
11 Other factors might be journal write (if / is a journaled file system),
12 or swap activity (if your laptop is short on ram) - basically the
13 kernel needs to do housekeeping stuff - possibly for a little while
14 after you have stopped doing anything.
15
16 However I'd expect that after a *while* (i.e few minutes) it should
17 settle down - no more activity should mean no more file buffer cache
18 flushes, swaps or journal writes.
19
20 have you tried leaving the machine for a few minutes (i.e going and
21 making a coffee), *then* stopping the drive?
22
23 Cheers
24
25 Mark