From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:46:53
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 31/03/2013 20:26, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
4 >>> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
8 >>>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits the
9 >>>>> same behavior...
10 >>>>>
11 >>>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev update
12 >>>> was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev" thing. That is
13 >>>> why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was having this issue with a
14 >>>> server setup.
15 >>> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
16 >>> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution like
17 >>> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
18 >>>
19 >>> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a point in
20 >>> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked,
24 > It's more accurate to say it worked by accident rather than by design.
25 > (Sort of like how the power utility gets power to your house - if yours
26 > is anything like mine I get power despite their best efforts to not give
27 > me any ...)
28 >
29 > Anyway, the old method sucked and it sort of works for you and I because
30 > we don't add anything ourselves that trip it up. But this new method...
31 > geez lads, I just dunno.
32 >
33 > How do Windows, Mac and Android deal with this stuff? They don't seem to
34 > have any device naming problems, so what is the magic solution in use on
35 > those platforms?
39 Well, it still works regardless of by accident or by design. On the
40 rare occasion that I have to reboot/shutdown, when my system comes up, I
41 still have the same network connection(s) I had before. I still have
42 net.eth0 like I have had since I built this rig. On my old rig, same
43 thing and I added networks cards to it, more than once I might add.
44 Everything was consistent until I disabled the on board nic since it
45 went bad then it got interesting because I had to configure things to
46 let the first network card be the internet connection instead of the on
47 board old one. I'm pretty sure that regardless of what was managing
48 devices that I would still have had to tell it which interface to use
49 tho. I mean, it can't exactly read my mind. lol
50
51 Point is, just like the /usr mess, it's working just fine. Odd thing
52 is, udev folks said it couldn't be fixed but the eudev folks seemed to
53 have fixed it just fine. It seems Walter found his own fix too. Sort
54 of like a plumber telling me I have to put with the drip when another
55 plumber can replace the o-ring and stop the drip. So much for the first
56 plumber. I'll loose his number for sure. Only with this, two plumbers
57 had a better plan. One replaced the o-ring, one replaced the whole
58 faucet. Still got rid of the drip tho.
59
60 I generally look more at the results than the how. I'm not a
61 programmer, just a user. End result is what I look for.
62
63 Dale
64
68 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!