From: flzdjhmtax@××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [RESOLVED] Change History of linux commands
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 19:10:53
1 (resending with correct From: address)
2 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> writes:
3
4 > Am 07.10.22 um 16:25 schrieb n952162:
5 >> Can anybody tell me how I can look at the official change history of
6 >> linux commands?
7 >>
8 >> For example, the test(1) command used to have a regular-expression
9 >> parser built in.  No longer, and more surprising, there's no discussion
10 >> of its disappearance on the internet; that I can find, at any rate.
11 >>
12 >> I'd to know when it disappeared and what discussions, by whom, preceded
13 >> that.
14
15 > Sorry, I'm thinking of the expr(1) command.
16
17 The man pages (and source code) of old versions of UNIX can be found at
18
19 https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl
20
21 e.g. ("man 1 expr" from Jan 1992)
22 https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V10/man/man1/expr.1
23
24 For more human readable output
25 $ cd tmp
26 $ cat > oldman.1
27 <copy and paste>
28 $ man ./oldman.1
31 Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/
32
33 Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
34 Security is inversely proportional to convenience