From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] BIOS Best settings (no o.c.) for ZEN 5 3600 / MSI Tomahawk max ?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 05:46:55
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am trying to figure out the best settings (performance wise) for a
5 > AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a MSI Tomahawk max motherboard.
6 >
7 > I don't want to overclock -- tweaking the bios is for finding
8 > the optimal setting in oposite to waste performance via sub-optimal
9 > settings like not activateing XMP profile and running the RAM at
10 > JEDEC speeds instead of what the vendor guaranties.
11 >
12 > Unfortunately, there are quite a view settings to which I didn't
13 > find any explanation, for what they are good.
14 >
15 > Any help is very appreciated! :)
16 >
17 > Cheers,
18 > Meino
19
20 I usually buy boards that can overclock but don't do it.  What I usually
21 look for once I get my CPU, memory and all installed, the selection for
22 optimized settings or something to that effect.  I've always found that
23 that setting works pretty darn well.  I had to tweak the IOMMU or
24 something setting but other than that, I let it detect the best
25 settings.  If I upgrade the BIOS, I repeat that on the first boot up.
26 In my experience, it picks good safe settings that result in stable
27 systems.
28
29 I've never had a MSI mobo, yet, so it may be called something different
30 but even Dell and Gateway usually have something similar to choose.  It
31 may be worth looking into .
32
33 Dale
34