From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mail configuration problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:07:03
1 Hi all,
2
3 Yesterday, I posted asking for a Gentoo equivalent of something I was
4 able to do in Fedora, I got some answers which were of assistance, one
5 being to check my logwatch.conf file to see what the frequency was set
6 at. This helped because it was set weekly and since I had just
7 installed logwatch the day before, I would have had to wait a week to
8 see if it was working, so I changed the frequency to daily.
9
10 As it turns out, logwatch is working. However, what I want to be able
11 to do is to fire up Pine and be able to view the emails sent by logwatch
12 to 'root@localhost' and this isn't working - I have a dead.letter file
13 in my /root directory.
14
15 I cat'ed the dead letter file and at the end, the following appears:
16
17 send-mail: RCPT TO:<postmaster@localhost> (504 <root@localhost>:
18 Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address)
19 Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1
20
21 My computer is stand alone except that it has a router which is
22 connected to my cable modem because my son connects wirelessly to the
23 internet through that. However, his laptop and my PC have no network
24 attachment.
25
26 My resolve.conf file has proper ip information. In my hosts file,
27 localhost is set to 127.0.0.1 My /etc/conf.d/domainname does not have a
28 FQDN set because when I installed Gentoo, I was under the impression
29 that I didn't need one because the computer is not networked and I
30 obtain my ip address using dhcp
31
32 Sorry, I know I'm a bit verbose here, but I have no idea where I'm going
33 wrong, so I figure that the more details that I can provide might better
34 enable someone to guide me in the right direction.
35
36 Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and as far as I can tell, my
37 /etc/mail/aliases file looks okay.
38
39 Regards,
40