From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:05:27
1 On 28/04/19 00:37, Dale wrote:
2 > I'm no networking guru by any stretch, I'm sure others would agree with
3 > that, but that's my thinking. After all, if you have a printer with the
4 > same IP, how would it know mine from yours unless it is local only?
5 > From my understanding, 192.168.*.* addresses are always local only IPs.
6
7 Google for RFC 1918. There are two other network ranges, one of which is
8 10/8.
9
10 The idea is that 192.168/24 gives you 256 class C addresses, then
11 there's a class B address, can't remember what it is, and 10/8 is a
12 class A address.
13
14 All of these are defined as "not routeable over the public network", so
15 any interface between two networks is supposed to drop any such packets.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Wol