From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem building statically linked e2fsprogs
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:46:53
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 22:34 +0200, Maarten wrote:
3 >> Albert Hopkins wrote:
4
5 >>> # ldd e2fsck/e2fsck
6 >>> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xb8033000)
7 >>> libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7edb000)
8 >>> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb8034000)
9 >> Ehm, exactly. So yes, it uses less libraries than before, but in no way
10 >> is this a real statically linked binary:
11 >>
12 > This is true, but it is sufficiently static enough. Pretty much any
13 > Linux shipped within the past 10 years or so has GNU libc 2 .x (libc 6),
14 > so the dependencies are satisfied.
15
16 Ah ? Are there no major difference between recent glibc versions ? I did
17 not know that versions are so much compatible.
18
19 > If you really really need static then:
20
21 No, it worked. However, the com_err library gave us no end of grief
22 today. Mount was broken, fetchmail was broken, etc. And reemerging
23 com_err yielded no results, the error
24
25 "libcom_err.so.2: cannot handle TLS data"
26
27 persisted like a real plague. I finally fixed it, but am unsure how. I
28 think reemerging an ancient version together with ss in the exact same
29 version did the trick. But something is badly broken-- com_err insists
30 on running revdep-rebuild, but running that does NOT report problems
31 related to any of the problematic binaries... :-(
32 As witnessed by, for instance, this:
33
34 master sys-libs # mkfs.ext2 --help
35 mkfs.ext2: error while loading shared libraries: libuuid.so.1: cannot
36 handle TLS data
37
38 master sys-libs # revdep-rebuild --pretend --ignore
39 Checking reverse dependencies...
40
41 <snip>
42
43 Checking dynamic linking consistency...
44 broken /usr/lib/apache2-extramodules/libphp4.so (requires libpdf.so.2)
45 broken /usr/X11R6/lib/apache2-extramodules/libphp4.so (requires
46 libpdf.so.2)
47 broken /opt/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so
48 (requires libasound.so.2)
49 broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so
50 (requires libasound.so.2)
51 done.
52
53 <snip>
54
55 All prepared. Starting rebuild...
56 emerge --oneshot --nodeps --pretend --ignore
57 =dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03-r12 =dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01-r1
58 =dev-php/mod_php-4.3.10
61 In other words, no sign at all about this broken stuff. Same goes for
62 fetchmail, but that has been reemerged so I cannot reproduce it anymore.
63
64 All in all, it has been a VERY BAD week for Gentoo from my perspective.
65 Which is a shame really, because I _want_ to love Gentoo... But... :-(
68 Another very bad thing which really bites us with our older Gentoo
69 servers is the fact that having the CHOST set to *i386-* seems to
70 harshly break any hope of a viable upgrade path. Figure that-- the main
71 reason we chose Gentoo was, in fact, the possibility to seamlessly
72 upgrade and thus stay up to date forever. That CHOST has killed that
73 hope. Now IF someone back in 2004 had mentioned (or had known?) this
74 fact we would not have fallen in this trap. But now, our management is
75 pushing real hard to switch to redhat or some other 'terrible choice'.
76 I really really get angry and disappointed whenever I think about this
77 situation nad how trivially simple it could have been avoided... :-(
78
79 I even think that the com_err thingy has some relations to this. Because
80 'emerge world' has been effectively cut off for us, many many upgrades
81 can be done only halfway, and these library problems indirectly stem
82 from that.
83
84 If someone knows a solution to the CHOST=i386 problem that doesn't
85 involve an 'emerge --emptytree world', I would LOVE to hear it...!
86
87 Thanks,
88 Maarten