From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgrading 1-year old system
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:36:04
1 On 30/01/2017 00:25, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 03:32:22PM -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> I haven't updated my system for over a year (1year and 3-months).
5 >>>> I was trying to upgrade my firefox-bin and I'm already running into problems.
6 >>>>
7 >>>> What is my best option, re-install from scratch, upgrade in stages etc.
8 >>>> With firefox-bin I'm getting:
9 >>>
10 >>> 1 year 3 months isn't usually that bad and it can be done - I've done it
11 >>> many times myself. However there are gotchas:
12 >>> […]
13 >>> - go slowly and deal with one block at a time. A regular emerge world
14 >>> probably won't succeed so you gotta bite of small chunks
15 >>>
16 >>> With those basics out the way, it's a great learning experience. I
17 >>> recommend you do it at least once.
18 >>
19 >> Might I also add, the -t option can reveal what is causing what
20 >> sometimes.
21 >
22 > Add --unordered-display to that (I put it into my emerge default options).
23 > It will shrink the output by removing duplicate [nomerge] lines and give you
24 > an easier to understand overview.
25 >
26 > A short while ago I updated an old netbook that hadn't seen any action in
27 > probably 2 years. It took a while (I cloned the HDD and compiled on my main
28 > rig), but I prevailed, inlcuding KDE 4 upgrades.
29 >
30 >> Also, I'd start with @system first, then work on @world.
31 >
32 > I use custom sets (basic tools, system utilities, X stuff, media players
33 > etc) and dealt with one of them at a time, starting with the less intricate
34 > ones.
35 >
36 >> Only bad thing is, KDE, if you have it installed, is in @system because
37 >> of dependencies, last I checked anyway.
38 >
39 > Uhm, KDE will not become part of @system, but you probably can't update kde
40 > without @system first. Much fun comes from the package renaming from
41 > kde-base to kde-apps, and now KDE4 isn't even in the tree anymore. (The OP
42 > hasn't stated whether he actually uses KDE, though.)
45 KDE isn't IN @system, but gets pulled in if you use --update --deep
46
47 However, there's a way out. @system is a defined set of packages (about
48 50 or so), not a list of stuff plus all it's deps. So do this:
49
50 emerge @system
51
52 That should keep everything except the list of system packages out of
53 the dep graph
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com