From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 10:22:19
1 Happy New Year!
2
3 BRM wrote:
4
5 > The system is set to boot off of /dev/hdb2 (ext2) and use /dev/hdb1 as
6 > the root. I believe the boot device is hd1,1 in grub terminology.
7
8 Yes.
9
10 > The system has 3 hard drives: hda, hdb, and sda; as well as a dvd drive
11 > (hdc).
12
13 Check your /boot/grub/device.map to make sure that devices correspond to the
14 expected grub nomenclature. Use <tab-completion> after you run # grub for
15 root to find out where Grub thinks its root fs resides.
16
17 > /dev/hdb2 has the following structure:
18 > - list of all my Slackware kernels
19 > - gentoo/bzImage
20 > - gentoo/bzImage_2-6-23-gentoo-r3
21 > - grub/
22 >
23 > Below is my grub.conf (minus comment lines):
24 >
25 > timeout 30
26 > default 0
27 > fallback 1
28 > title Gentoo Linux
29 > root (hd1,1)
30 > kernel /gentoo/bzImage root=/dev/hdb1
31
32 I assume from what you said above that when you run ls -la /gentoo/bzImage
33 you can see the kernel image you are trying to boot, right?
34
35 > title Slackware Linux
36 > root (hd1,1)
37 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
38 >
39 > title Install GRUB into the hard disk
40 > root (hd1,1)
41 > setup (hd1)
42 >
43 > title Change the colors
44 > color light-green/brown blink-red/blue
45 >
46 > I installed it via:
47 >
48 > # grub
49 > grub: root (hd1,1)
50 > grub: setup (hd1)
51 > grub: exit
52 >
53 > All seems well. It boots and presents the menu, but then can't find the
54 > kernel when I select "Gentoo Linux" or try to manually run the lines. I
55 > tried using "find" at the grub command prompt during the boot process,
56 > but it couldn't find it either. I haven't tried the Slackware kernel
57 > yet, as I am mostly concerned about the Gentoo kernel.
58 >
59 > Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot or
60 > /.
61 >
62 > What am I missing?
63
64 Your system will look at the first device that the BIOS finds for a
65 bootloader. That 'should' be /dev/hda, but it could well be /dev/sda
66 (check device map and also use Grub's tab completion to see what the
67 BIOS/Grub sees first). Then install your grub in that first device.
68 There's nothing wrong with your Grub installation other than it is in the
69 second (third?) device and it need to be either chainloaded or directly
70 booted from the Grub installation in the first device that comes up on boot
71 up.
72
73 HTH
74 --