From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [A bit off-topic] Bash alias and &
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:27:05
1 Hi all,
2 A bit off topic here, but there are plenty of people who seem to know
3 their shells back to front so here goes.
4
5 I have set up a Win32 based development environment,
6 bash/cc/ls/etc/etc, for 1st year Engineering students who have to learn
7 C on a command line. It's fine for me to remember to put the & at the
8 end of the command when I fire up the editor but for them, it's major
9 angst.
10
11 The first thing that comes to mind is an alias. Just off the top of my
12 head I tried:
13
14 alias "npp=npp %1 &"
15
16 npp being the editor, but that didn't work. Is an alias the best/easiest
17 way to do this and if so, what would the syntax be, or is there a better
18 way?
19
20 Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
21