From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: go to a no-x console from failed X + lxde install
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 12:25:36
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 00:17:13 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Instead of setting USE=-gtk in your `/etc/portage/make.conf` try
6 >> > setting `sys-auth/consolekit-1.1.0-r1 -gtk` in
7 >> > `/etc/portage/package.use/polkit`
8 >>
9 >> I guessed you meant to say polkit so:
10 >> root # cat /etc/portage/package.use/polkit
11 >> sys-auth/polkit-0.113-r -gtk
12 >>
13 >> And boy did those changes you've been posting really make a difference
14 >
15 > Stop messing arund with package.use, trying to turn the flag off one
16 > package at a time. Either use the default/linux/x86/13.0 profile, which
17 > has a bare minimum set of USE flags set, or set -gtk in make.conf.
18 >
19 > The developer profiles are for Gentoo developers and set options for
20 > those creating ebuilds, you don't need that, use the base profile only.
21
22 Made that change soon as Andre and Dale spoke up.
23
24 Thanks for the tips and commentary about profiles... good to know.
25
26 Maybe you missed this from back up the thread:
27
28 Harry wrote:
29 > Also, I thought it might help to stick a use flag of `-gtk' in
30 > make.conf. But when I did that just now as an experiment instead of
31 > the output below I got a huge list of x11- pkgs to be installed.
32 > Now changed back I get the output below.
33
34 But that was before setting the profile to:
35 [...]/default/linux/x86/13.0
36 as suggested by several posters now.
37
38 Now under the new profile what you suggest... removing the polkit -gtk
39 from /etc/portage/package.use and putting `-gtk' in make.conf had a
40 good effect on emerge -vuNDp world.
41
42 Thanks for bringing it backup... made difference under the proper
43 profile.