From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 22:50:07
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday, 18 December 2017 16:14:42 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> I tried following the profile 17 upgrade instructions but now I'm
5 >>> stuck. After running for a day or so, the 'emerge -e @world' command
6 >>> stopped when grub-0.97 failed to build.
7 >>>
8 >>> How do I skip grub and continue?
9 >>>
10 >>> Or do I have to tell emerge to start over from the beginning (skipping
11 >>> grub)? Assuming there are other packages that are going to fail also,
12 >>> that could take weeks...
13 >> emerge --resume --skipfirst
14 >>
15 >> That should work. If forced, using --exclude grub might could be
16 >> added. I've never tried that with the --resume command tho.
17 >>
18 >> Dale
19 >>
20 >> :-) :-)
21 > Let's not forget the '--keep-going y' option too. At the end it will print a
22 > list of all the packages that failed to emerge.
26 I have to confess, I set most of this as defaults in make.conf.  The
27 most often commands I use, eix-sync and emerge -uaDN world.  Everything
28 else is in make.conf.  Listy for those who may be curious.
29
30 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
31 --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
32
33 FEATURES="-usersync userpriv usersandbox buildpkg sandbox parallel-fetch"
34
35 Each of those were added as I noticed I needed them more often than
36 not.  The backtrack option started out at 50 but sometimes that wasn't
37 enough so I increased it to 100.  That has worked well so far.  The
38 --oneshot, (-1), option was to keep unneeded things from being added to
39 my world file.  Each option has some reason for being there.
40
41 If someone reading this wants to copy that, may solve some problems at
42 least.  ;-)
43
44 Dale
45