From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unmounting /usr in single user mode
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:07:20
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Monday 19 July 2010 20:58:37 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> I am unable to umount /usr in single user mode on an old system.
5 >> I believe the system is baselayout-1 and is amd64.
6 >> The trouble is open files, at least some of which appear to be related
7 >> to bash and locale (see the files below).
8 >>
9 >> I use grub. On the kernel line can I specify sh instead of bash?
10 >
11 > Not directly. grub and init does not know about, or even care about, bash.
12 >
13 > You can change root's shell in /etc/passwd to sh and bash should run in sh
14 > mode. Or you can append init=/bin/sh to the grub boot line and try that. You
15 > will of course have to run all the init scripts yourself as init will not run
16 > when you do this. And you can't reboot either - when you exit the shell in
17 > this mode you'll get a panic
18
19 Thanks for the information.
20