From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:22:46
1 >> Main thing
2 >> that speeds up the AMD box is using 320MB scsi's
3 >> for near-term storage. They are hugely faster than
4 >> [S]ATA or IDE used on most equipment these days.
5 >
6 > what R/W speeds can you expect?
7
8 Operations on SCSI run 2-3 times faster for large-ish
9 file transfers (say 1MB or more). For example GIMP
10 runs without noticeable pauses on most operations with
11 my 2GHz opteron using the SCSI's as storage and scratch
12 space; on the same machine with the SATA's it bogs down
13 to the point of annoyance, with things like saves taking
14 seconds to complete. The only difference being which
15 drives I'm using for tiles and data.
16
17 Bonnie gets upset validating the scsi space on this
18 box since it has 8GB of core and I don't have 16GB
19 free on the device so I can't give you any specific
20 numbers.
24 Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
25 Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
26 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list