From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 17:48:42
1 On 15/10/2020 17:31, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2020.10.15 00:03, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 14/10/20 22:37, Jack wrote:
4 >>> Why do you need two graphics cards?  I've been driving two monitors
5 >>> off each of the last several graphics cards I've used - both nVidia
6 >>> and ATI, from simple PCI to PCIE needing the extra power connector.
7 >>
8 >> Because I'm not driving two monitors. I'm running a two-user system.
9 >> AIUI, each session needs its own graphics card (which could drive two
10 >> monitors for that user).
11 >>
12 > Now that would be an interesting project - a single instance of X, but
13 > split between two different users, each on a separate monitor.  I agree
14 > it's not feasible now, as xorg runs as the owning user.  I would expect
15 > Wayland has the same restriction.  Actually, I would find it interesting
16 > to have a separate session on each monitor just in plain text mode.
17 >
18 > Was the second graphics card you tried using also PCIE?  If so, I wonder
19 > if you might get it to work with a PCI card as the second graphics card.
20 >
21 I haven't done it yet, it's the new system I'm building. And it's going
22 to be an interesting experience :-)
23
24 But from everything I've found, it seems like there's no problem binding
25 one instance of X to one card/keyboard/mouse, and a different instance
26 to the other card/keyboard/mouse (or Wayland).
27
28 Cheers,
29 Wol