From: Naiani Rosa de Barros <naiani.princess@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] TTF Fonts
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:24:43
1 On Jan 13, 2008 11:33 AM, Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:00:57 -0400
3 > "Naiani Rosa de Barros" <naiani.princess@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Well, the location fonts:/// does not exist on Xfce, so the
6 > > installation has to be manual.
7 > > I ended up finding this other article on Gentoo-Wiki,
8 > > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XFS_and_Custom_Fonts , which works well.
9 > > The only thing I don't like is having to run ttmkfdir > fonts.scale,
10 > > mkfontdir, /etc/init.d/xfs restart everytime I want to add a new font.
11 > > But I guess it's a small price to pay.
12 > > Thank you guys!
15 > You usually don't need to. Kde should pick the fonts just the same
16 > moment you install them. Other X programs need a re-building of the
17 > font cache. That is done when X is restarted, but you can also do it
18 > manually on a term with something like this:
19 >
20 > xset fp rehash
21 >
22 > That will re-read all the font dirs (the default gentoo configuration
23 > include system dirs and also local dirs, like ~/.fonts/). If you want
24 > to add a font path, you need to issue this other command before the
25 > one above:
26 >
27 > xset +fp /new/path
28 > of
29 > xset fp+ /new/path
30 >
31 > To prepend or append a new path, then rehash it as shown above.
32 >
33 > The xfs solution is something that is mostly deprecated, and it is a
34 > resource waste and a completely useless thing on a desktop machine. I
35 > don't recommend the xfs stuff at all.
36 >
37 > --
38 > Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
39 > --
40 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
44 Thanks for the tip, I didn't know xfs was deprecated. I used this
45 solution because it was the only one I could find. Xfce doesn't have a
46 font utility, so I need to do it manually. I'll try this other way and
47 see what I can get.
48
49 Naiani
50 --