From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eclipse portage package
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:18:42
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 25 November 2009 19:20:43 Chuck Robey wrote:
3 >> I need to get an up-to-date version of eclipse working on my gentoo
4 >> box. First question is, is there a Galileo (3.5+) version of eclipse
5 >> available as a portage package? I can't find it, so I'd really appreciate
6 >> a pointer. The only thing I can see is a fairly old eclipse version (I
7 >> think a year or more out of date).
8 >>
9 >> Second question, at the eclipse website, I see a binary version of the
10 >> latest Linux-eclipse (the version I'm after). If I *can't* get a portage
11 >> package version of Galileo-eclipse, then if I install the binary package
12 >> (non-portage) from the eclipse website, can I get (and how can I get)
13 >> portage to consider this package as supplying any dependency which would
14 >> be otherwise supplied by the latest (ganymede, 3.4+) portage version of
15 >> the eclipse tool
16
17 Several comments about answers here. First, to Marcus Wanner, yes, the first
18 two eclipse packages work for 3.5, but they AREN'T eclipse, they are plugins for
19 eclipse (plugins for what I really want). The 3rd is eclipse-sdk, the only one
20 you don't cover and the only one I really need. Of course I know how to handle
21 them, but without having eclipse itself, it's not useful.
22
23 It *seems to me that Mark Knecht is telling me that there's no way the binary
24 from the eclipse site would work, so he tells me how to install the two which do
25 me no good. Again, this isn't helpful. The 3rd package is (in your own mail)
26 still stuck at 3.4.x, and that's the real eclipse sdk.
27
28 Alan McKinnon's response, below, seems to be telling me that I really should go
29 ahead and try to use the binary from the eclipse site, and not to worry about
30 getting into dependency problems with portage. Normally, most package tools
31 from any OS get truly destructive if you fail to their tools ONLY, so I was
32 hoping to find some way to effectively lie to portage, keep portage from getting
33 upset. Seeing as I've gotten no advice on how to hoodwink portage, I just went
34 ahead and used the 3.5.1 (x86-64) version of their Linux(x86-64) binary eclipse
35 package, and it's working just fine. I had to get the sun-jdk installed
36 (portage at least didn't offer me any problems here) and (at least until I run
37 into more eclipse packages) it all seems to be working.
38
39 If think that perhaps I can mask off everything from portage regarding any
40 eclipse package, and maybe that will lessen my chances of having portage step on
41 my system for me. This just occurred to me, and maybe it's the only thing I can do.
44 > Have you considered simply installing the binary eclipse into ~ and
45 > maintaining it using the bundled eclipse tools? This removes portage out of
46 > the equation entirely - no fooling around with *provided
47 >
48 > That is the method used by most Linux users and it's highly unlikely it won't
49 > work - gentoo doesn't do weird things with where libs etc are stored.
50 >
51 > Plus, you have the advantage of being to install plugins directly from eclipse
52 > without having to become root and run emerge. It the same order of magnitude
53 > as using Firefox to install it's own plugins.