From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: make oldconfig ?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:08:25
1 Tom H <tomh0665 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >> /usr/src/linux/scripts/kconfig/Makefile
5 > >> /usr/src/linux/scripts/kconfig/conf.c
6
7 > I'm not too sure what you're looking for but if you want to compare
8 > config_new and config_old where you generated config_new with
9 > config_old and "make oldconfig", you can use "./scripts/diffconfig
10 > .config config.old".
13 Background::
14 I have been researching and reading about a plethora of cluster/cloud
15 approaches to running normal linux codes (frameworks if you like) and also
16 Hi Performance Computing (many machines on a single problem). Long story
17 short version, it seems the more the linux system is minimized, in size and
18 complexity, the faster the containers or HPC applications run on top of it
19 and the easier it is to 'secure' the cluster. Many, in the cluster world,
20 particularly the HPC folks, are not using systemd as it adds unnecessary
21 complexity and degrades performance, albeit systemd does bring some ease of
22 management to large numbers of nodes. Gentoo has quite a following of openrc
23 folks, as I am one, and there needs to be a openrc pathway to
24 cluser-paradise, imho. Most folks are keeping their secrets as to how to
25 best tune a linux kernel for cluster or container deployment. Mix that in
26 with Systemd complexities and the result is a very obfuscated environment
27 for kernel tuning and benchmarking of clusters. So I'm going to need tools
28 to rapidly (CI?) rebuild various linux kernels with minor tweaks to the
29 config, as well as deployment consistency.
30
31 Cluster vendors have basically two strategies:: Commercially offer a version
32 of the cluster that is tuned to a specific performance need, and/or
33 commercially offer the very nice management tools that make clustering
34 easy, pleasant and robust.
37 I have become very interested in developing a small cluster for testing some
38 of the myriad of cluster offerings. IMHO:: a cluster is just a local cloud
39 that is run locally. So for my example 12 systems, mostly amd64, but some
40 intel and arm64 systems, are to be used. The desire is to be able to use
41 these systems, to rapidly throw up a cluster for containers, or HPC, run
42 some codes, trap and retain data for later analysis and comparison with runs
43 against other cluster architectures and codes that constitute a given target
44 cluster. Loosely, cluster benchmarking.
47 There is the myriad of 'frameworks' that are available for the various
48 clusters one can build. It's all quite complex on the surface (vendor
49 hyperbole), but underneath, vetting performance claims is quite simple. Load
50 of the test-cluster with codes, run some jobs/apps/codes on a given
51 cluser+frameworks, collect data for analysis and comparison.
54 Present::
55 Gentoo's GSoC has at least two projects that are very appealing to me along
56 these lines::
57
58 1) Stateless Minimal Gentoo
59
60 2) kernelconfig
61
62 Item two is the tie-in for oldconfig and associated semantics. PXE boot and
63 other metrics are at play here too. So a comprehensive kernel build and
64 deploy system, for lots of systems and different architectures, is of
65 interest. Most prototype work is done on amd64. Live kernel patching is
66 an active area of development and in some circumstances will not necessitate
67 the reboot of the system/node to update the kernel [A].
68
69 Item one is similar to CoreOS. CoreOS has a system for rapidly deploying
70 systems from a cold boot as well as live updates to the running OS with
71 rollback if necessary. Impressive to say the least. But, CoreOS is locked
72 into the systemd pathway. Myself, being of the minimalistic embedded ilk, I
73 tend to lean towards the alpine-docker pathway of minimization and
74 openrc/busybox.
77 Lofty goals. But, extraordinarily useful to linux folks, especially those
78 with small to medium size data-centers. Note, lots of folks drop me email
79 privately with information, concerns and tidbits of wisdom most useful
80 in my journey to cluster-paradise. Public guidance and even scorn, are also
81 most welcome. Reams of inexpensive arm64 machines combined with compiler
82 advances make clustering the most exciting adventure in the linux world, atm.
85 hth,
86 James
87
88 [A] http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2015/03/23/live-kernel-patching-update/