From: Bill Roberts <billbalt@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT SATA-2 drive support in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:58:34
1 I inherited two Western Digital Raptor 74G SATA drives. They run at 10,000
2 rpm, 4.5 seek time. I was prepared to be unimpressed, but they are
3 phenomenonly fast and quiet. I strongly recommend them.
4
5 I am running them as a RAID 0, connected directly to the motherboard, using
6 linux software RAID.
7
8 If you want hardware RAID, 3ware seems to be the ticket.
9
10 hdparm -Tt /dev/md0
11
12 /dev/md0:
13 Timing cached reads: 3080 MB in 2.00 seconds = 1538.70 MB/sec
14 Timing buffered disk reads: 410 MB in 3.00 seconds = 136.46 MB/sec
15
16 Not cheap, but I think they're worth every nickel.
17
18 Bill Roberts
19