From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:31:36
1 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 12/3/18 9:27 AM, Pouru Lasse wrote:
4 > > I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
5 > > like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
6 > > I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
7 > > DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
8 > >
9 > > - Lasse
12 > For DVDs, I use ddrescue. Keep a log of it as well in case you want to
13 > do a second pass or just see where it's puking. Use its blocksize of 2048:
14 >
15 > ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso ddrescue.log
16
17 readcd is better for any optical media as it is able to directly send SCSI
18 commands. Note that readcd implements the error recovery from sdd(1), that
19 exists since 35 years and I also prefer for normal disks.
20
21 With software that operates at block driver level, you depend on the error
22 recovery features from the OS driver.
23
24 Use the options -noerror and retries= (the latter makes sense with a retry
25 count > 128 as 128 is the default) and set up a low read speed as this reduces
26 media flitting.
27
28 Jörg
31 EMail:joerg@××××××.net (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin