From: jarry@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] <OT> How many GB for / partition?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:07:10
1 Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
2
3 > There are too damn many myths about swap out there. Like this one:
4 > Always configure twice as much swap as you have ram. Why?
5
6 <OT>
7 Well, it depends on how swap is handled by system. In linux, your
8 total memory = physical memory + swap (as you wrote)
9
10 A couple years ago I got answer from HP, where they said with hp-ux:
11 total memory = physical memory + (swap - physical memory)
12 only if swap > physical memory !
13
14 and
15 total memory = physical memory
16 if swap < physical memory
17 (in other words, it was completely useless to have swap < phys.memory,
18 and optimum was really swap = 2 * physical memory)
19
20 They explained to me, that hp-ux 11 (or at least that early version)
21 allocates part of swap of the same size as physical memory and mirrors
22 the whole image of ram into swap for performance reasons: when more
23 memory is needed, it can be immediatelly made free, because it is
24 already paged to disk.
25
26 So when I had 1GB RAM and 2GB swap, even right after system boot-up
27 only 1GB of swap were free (in the other half of swap there was already
28 mirror of physical memory), and I could not start any process which
29 needed more than 2GB total memory.
30
31 It seemed to me to be a complete vaste, and I was really angry, because
32 it was time when 4 GB disk was a luxury (and e.g. irix did not have
33 this strange "feature"). But things might have changed since then...
34 </OT>
35
36 Jarry
39 Telefonieren Sie schon oder sparen Sie noch?
40 NEU: GMX Phone_Flat http://www.gmx.net/de/go/telefonie
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list