From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delayed update semantics
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 19:51:21
1 On 14/02/2013 21:26, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Context: Stable Systems with a few newer packages
5 > (unmasked) in portage.
6 >
7 > Some of the recent discussion threads bounce around the issue
8 > of solutions being completed a few days after new packages are release.
9 > Hey, it's Gentoo, we're all keenly aware of this. No problem.
10 > But, from time to time, I get really distracted from Gentoo
11 > with other engineering, social and financial issues, as most on this
12 > list (humanoids refer to this as "having a life") ymmv.
15 > So, being the lazy, aging admin/hack/engineer that I am,
16 > every time I try another distro, it just does not work for
17 > my needs, so like it or not, I'm stuck with Gentoo.....
18 > (dont get me wrong, I love Gentoo, just sometimes
19 > I neglect that (gentoo admin) part of my life for sporadic periods).
22 > So, my latest ideas is to "sync up" and then wait one week
23 > before acutally installing those new packages. This would
24 > allow the fodder that the good folks on this list catch,
25 > bitch about (um, I mean file bug reports) and fix, to
26 > occur first; then I can complete the package update
27 > cautiously avoiding an "emerge sync".
30 This is the one that will give you what you want
31
32 > But when you "emerge sync" if to do the updates immediately, they'll be
33 > the latest packages.
34
35 So don't do that
36
37 > If I do a "emerge sync" and wait
38 > 7 days to begin updating the packages, I'll be delayed
39 > by one week, and have a one week of buffered fixes for added
40 > problem filtering. But those fixes might not be available
41 > without a fresh "emerge sync"?
42
43 If you see everyone else whinging about X and you want X, then sync and
44 emerge right now. You will potentially get a bunch of current stuff that
45 breaks stuff, and you will have to deal with that on the rare occassion
46 it happens
49 > When time permits I CAN CHOOSE to "emerge sync" and then immediately
50 > update the packages and parse through the issues mostly. Call
51 > this the stable-stable approach to gentoo updates.
52 >
53 > Does anyone see any problems or a better way to stay one-week-delayed ?
54
55 no, there is no better way.
56
57 gentoo does not support partial syncs so you can't be picky
61 > I'm increasingly managing more Gentoo systems, particularly embedded
62 > and server based gentoo systems and that is the source that compounds these
63 > time-sink-issues for me. Maybe some external-integrated management approach
64 > such as CFengine is my answer?
65 >
66 > Your comments and thoughts are most welcome.
69 > James
75 Alan McKinnon
76 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com