From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] porno filtering using squid?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:50:44
1 Michael Crute schreef:
2 > On 10/15/05, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 04:43:18 +0600 Gentoo Shadow
5 >> <adaptit@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> is it free to use for commercial purposes?
8 >>
9 >> It's GPL.
13 > After a fashion. Read the pricing page.
14 >
15 > -Mike
16 >
17 I've gotta say, I would avoid this on general principle after reading
18 the pricing page (and the license):
19
20 > We are not Value Added Tax registered as the revenue is too small so
21 > there is no VAT to pay within the EU. The EURO prices are the same
22 > as USD.
25 However the *value* of the U.S. Dollar is not the same as the Euro, so
26 if you pay in Euros, you're actually paying *more* than the American
27 customers-- you might even still save money if you paid the fees to
28 convert to USD from Euros (since there's no VAT). It's not like PayPal
29 cares what currency you pay in, so it's within the realm of possiblility
30 that you could do that).
33 > What you will get
34 >
35 > By paying for a download license for DansGuardian you will get:
36 >
37 > * A nice warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing you are supporting Open
38 > Source development and so all humanity. * A license to download
39 > DansGuardian 2. * Free public non-commercial support via the mailing
40 > list. * Free upgrades as they become available.
41 >
42 > By paying for a download license for DansGuardian you will *not* get:
47 > * A guarantee of anything from me. * Commercial support. *
48 > DansGuardian on any physical media. * Printed documentation.
51 So I'm paying for what, exactly? Certainly not most of the features that
52 I would normally expect as a commercial customer (no support, no media,
53 no docs, no *guarantees*???? I mean, geez).
54
55 > Commercial Support
56 >
57 > As of 1st Jan 2003, there is no commercial support available from the
58 > author. This is due to a lack of time to adequately provide support.
59 > Anyone who has purchased support will be honoured until 1st June
60 > 2003. If you require commercial support, you have two possibilities:
61 >
62 > * (a) Purchase a commercial version of DansGuardian which comes with
63 > support such as SmoothGuardian. This is highly recommended software
64 > and is the only commercial software using DansGuardian technology
65 > that is officially endorsed. All other software using DansGuardian is
66 > not official. SmoothGuardian has resellers all over the world who
67 > will be able to talk to you in your timezone and bill you in your
68 > local currency. * (b) Purchase support from an IT consultant in your
69 > area. You are allowed to solicit for commercial support on the
70 > mailing list.
71
72 So when I pay for the app, I don't get support unless I pay for support
73 from someone else. Riiiiiiiight. Will the author of this included Smooth
74 Guardian support me? I don't know... but I should know, before I shell
75 out at least 90 euros for this application.
76
77 Not to mention, if I'm paying the author money, why doesn't he have time
78 to support me? Or share his profits with someone to support me if he's
79 physically incapable for some reason? I find it unbelievable that the
80 author would expect me to accept these conditions (but then, people
81 accept a lot of conditions that I find unbelievable, chief among them
82 that it's OK and normal to reformat and reinstall your OS to solve a
83 relatively minor technical problem that the OS-- which you paid for--
84 does not allow you to fix in any other way. So clearly I am not normal
85 in my understanding of what constitutes a reasonable condition in this
86 regard).
87
88 Plus this insanely confusing license that does not really make it clear
89 what the rights and privileges that *I have paid for* actually are?
90
91 No, thanks.... thank goodness I have no need for this application.
92 Because I'd tie myself into a pretzel before using it, no matter how
93 much I needed it.
94
95 Holly
96 --