From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: star
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:51:25
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Samstag, 22. September 2007, Florian Philipp wrote:
3
4 >> star supports p7zip which can be much better and especially more
5 >> flexible than bzip2, gzip and zip. Its other features (better
6 >> funcionality for acl, sparse files, recovery and backups among other
7 >> things) didn't sound bad, either.
8 >
9 > I don't know - bzip2 is very good at 'recovery' because only the affected
10 > block is lost.
11
12 True - in theory. It doesn't help you much, if you lose a block in a
13 .tar.bz2 file, as the block sizes of bzip2 and tar won't overlap. Thus,
14 something like ".bz2.tar" would be better, meaning a tar which contains
15 pre compressed files. Granted, compression ratio would be worse.
16
17 If you want safety, I'd either suggest afio or maybe something like
18 par.
19
20 > and if p7zip supports pipes, you don't need its support in tar. Just pipe
21 > from/to it.
22
23 It does and that's the way it's supposed to be used on unix, according
24 to its manpage.
25
26 > as you can see, you need to play around with pipes anyway when you use
27 > star. So switching just because of one compression algo and become
28 > incompatible with the way emerge unpacks packages sounds pretty stupid
29 > IMHO.
30
31 ACK
32